If you’re a stickler for products made from strictly natural sources, then chances are you’d love to try the African black soap. Its name notwithstanding, the African black soap is one of the most sought after toiletry products in the United States, as evidenced by huge number of sales and buyer reviews on online marketplaces like Walmart and Amazon. That only speaks volumes about its multiple benefits.
Here, we’ll be stating a few things about the African black soap (such as its common ingredients and benefits) before presenting the best brands available in the market at the moment. Wondering how we made the selection? That would come in a bit. For now, read on to learn more.
If you’re short on time and are looking for our Editor’s Choice and Best Seller, check out the African Black Soap 1 Pound Bar. It has 2,201 great ratings, and even a 60 day satisfaction guarantee.
Now let’s talk dermatology…
- What is African black soap?
- African black soap: ingredients and benefits
- Best African black soap reviews: Our top 5 picks (for face, skin, hair growth, etc.)
- 1. Wonderfully Natural African Black Soap
- 2. Dudu Osun (12-bar Value Pack)
- 3. Our Earth’s Secrets Raw African Black Soap
- 4. Shea Moisture African Black Soap (with Shea Butter)
- 5. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bath & Body Pack
What is African black soap?
The African black soap is a unique kind of soap with a characteristic black or dark brown color. It is made from locally harvested African plants such as palm tree leaves, cocoa pods, plantain peels, Shea tree bark, and others depending on its origin and the purpose it’s meant for. As its name implies, it originated from Africa (West Africa, precisely), and it’s widely used for its exfoliating and anti-microbial properties.
Even though it was first usually rendered in a paste or solid form, the African black soap is now available in liquid and other forms. And the market now abounds with different brands of the product.
African black soap: ingredients and benefits
The African black soap owes its multiple benefits to the natural products used in producing it. Basically, these include palm tree parts, cocoa pods, plantain trees and peels, and the Shea tree bark. But there are now more-than-countable variants of the product that include additional ingredients, which help to potentiate specific benefits it provides.
For example, African black soap products made specifically for hair growth also include essential oils that improve hair texture and boost its growth. Similarly, variants of the soap made for skin care contain sulphur and other natural ingredients that smoothen the skin and fights skin infections.
Even without any additions to its basic ingredients, the African black soap provides a number of health benefits, which include the following:
- The soap cleanses the skin without stripping it of its own natural oils (due to its Shea butter and palm kernel oil content).
- It moisturizes the skin (thanks to the coconut oil content).
- It serves as a gentle exfoliator.
- It helps to fight acne (since it contains coconut oil, which comprise vitamin E, capric acid, and caprylic acid, all of which work together to maintain the skin pH level and prevent irritation and inflammation of the skin).
- It helps to reduce wrinkles and other effects of aging on the skin (because it contains cocoa pods, which are rich in anti-oxidants as well as phenolics and flavonoids, which work together to reduce the effects of free radicals on the skin).
- It helps to treat acne, eczema, and other skin problems.
- It helps to clear hyperpigmentation (darkening of an area of the skin) and evens the skin tone in people with sun damage, blackheads, under-eye dark circles, and so on.
- It has natural anti-fungal properties, which makes it effective in the treatment of ringworm, nail fungus, jock itch, and other fungal infections.
- It clears dandruffs from the scalp, improves hair texture, and boosts hair growth.
Best African black soap reviews: Our top 5 picks (for face, skin, hair growth, etc.)
The market abounds with African black soap formulas by several different brands, and making the right choice can be confusing. Worse, many of the formulas you’d find in the market are not organically made, which means you won’t get the results you expect from them. With this in mind, we decided to scour the market to compare the various brands available and come up with the best options.
In selecting the best options available, we considered ingredients, real buyer reviews, brand trust, price, and other factors that matter. And here are our top 5 picks.
1. Wonderfully Natural African Black Soap
The Wonderfully Natural African Black Soap is an organic black soap formula that contains palm oil, palm kernel oil, cocoa butter, and coconut oil. The ingredients, which are rich natural sources of vitamins A and E, explain why the formula provides anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial benefits to the skin, hair, and other parts of the body. The soap formula is also rich in antioxidants, which help to slow the ageing process and repair damaged skin and other tissues.
If you’re battling with acne or other refractive skin and hair conditions, the Wonderfully Natural African Black Soap will most likely work for you, since it has helped several other people with similar conditions. And since its ingredients are all naturally sourced, you can expect little to no side effects.
The formula also comes with a free sample of organic Shea Butter, which you can apply on your skin, scalp, or hair after washing off the soap. This will yield even faster results. Although, the fomula comes in solid form, you can make some shampoo out of it by adding some water and pressing into pulp.
In case you’re wondering why we made this formula our top pick, here’s why: We found that it’s the bestselling African Black Soap Formula on Amazon.com, with thousands of awesome reviews by real buyers. What fascinated us the most about the formula was the more-than-countable number of skin, hair, and other conditions that people have successfully treated with it.
2. Dudu Osun (12-bar Value Pack)Dudu Osun is another organically made African black soap formula that is selling like crazy in the United States for the right reasons. The formula, which packs ingredients like palm kernel oil, cocoa pod ash, palm ash, lemon juice, aloe vera, honey, and camwood, has been used by many buyers to treat a wide range of skin problems and improve skin texture and health. This shouldn’t surprise you if you understand the health benefits of individual ingredients such as honey, aloe vera, and camwood.
Dudu Osun helps to prevent and treat frustrating skin problems such as acne, dermatitis, psoriasis, dark spots, freckles, eczema, and so on. Aside is therapeutic effectiveness, it also has a beautiful sweet scent. So, if you’re a stickler for sweet smells, you’d love this soap.
To get even better and sustained results from this soap formula, it is widely recommended that you apply raw shea butter on your skin after washing off the soap. The soap comes in a number of package options, but the 12-bar pack (shown above) is highly recommended for two reasons: you’ll save a lot of money, and you’ll get to use the soap for longer time.
One thing you might not like about the Dudu Osun is that it disappears very quickly if not stored carefully. So, if your soap holder retains water or gets a lot of water sprayed on it, consider storing the soap on a dry surface or use a wire soap holder.
3. Our Earth’s Secrets Raw African Black Soap
Its crude looks notwithstanding, the Our Earth’s Secrets Raw African black soapis a blend of naturally sourced ingredients. Its solid build means you can use it for longer time, and it’s crude packaging means you can strengthen its effects by easily mixing with other ingredients. The soap is made in Ghana in West Africa (the origin of African black soap) with no artificial ingredients. So, you can rest assured that you’re getting the pristine form of African black soap.
The Our Earth’s Secrets Raw African Black Soap contains palm kernel oil, coconut oil, stearic oil, plantain, Shea butter, and cocoa pod husks. It helps to clear skin bumps and stubborn spots, and it helps to treat acne, psoriasis, eczema, and other skin problems. It also works for the hair.
To use this soap, simply lather it on your palm or a washcloth and apply to your face, body or hair. Do not rub the face directly on your hair or skin.
4. Shea Moisture African Black Soap (with Shea Butter)
If you’re a stickler for impressive and attractive packaging, then you’d love the Shea Moisture African Black Soap. But beyond looks, the formula is one of the best options available. It also helps for skin problems including acne, eczema, psoriasis, itching, and dry skin. It’s a s great substitute for conventional bathing soaps, most of which contain inorganic ingredients that have side effects in the long haul.
Aside the regular ingredients, the Shea Moisture African Black Soap contains Shea butter, which means you won’t have to buy a separate pack of Shea butter to use with the product. It also has some fragrance added to it, which explains its nice smell. But if you’re sensitive to perfumes or would prefer the natural smell of the African black soap, this might not be for you. The soap also contains a few other artificial ingredients, but all these help to potentiate the effects of the natural ones included. But if you want 100% raw black soap, consider any of the options above, instead.
5. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bath & Body Pack
If you’re looking for the right African black soap formula for your skin, then the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bath & Body Pack is one option you want to consider. It’s a two-in-one pack that includes a black soap body wash and a black soap body lotion. What more do you need to treat your skin problems?
The SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bath & Body Pack contains the regular ingredients of African black soap as well as Shea butter and vitamin E, all of which helps to soothe the skin and treat problems such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, and so on. The included black soap lotion packs helps to sustain these benefits for longer periods and helps to protect your skin against the elements. Other ingredients used in the production include Jojoba oil, salicylic acid, mango seed butter, vegetable wax, aloe leaf juice, essential oil blend, oat, and so on. Most are natural ingredients, so you can rest assured that you’d get impressive results from this product.