Getting the best bike for an overweight female (lady, woman or girl) is a huge challenge. Many things could go awfully wrong if the selection and buying process is not handled with diligence, skill and forethought.
The reasons are of course as varied as they are many. However, the primary concern remains the comfort of the women/ladies on one part and the longevity or durability of the bicycle on the other.
So, if you are a female who loves cycling and is beautifully plus-sized, you are in the right place. Kindly read on to learn know the best bikes for overweight women or ladies.
- Factors to Consider When Buying Bikes for Overweight Females
- Review: 5 Best Bikes for Overweight Female
- 1. Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle Review
- 2. Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle Review
- 3. Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike Review
- 4. Northwoods Springdale Women’s 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle Review
- 5. Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle Review
Factors to Consider When Buying Bikes for Overweight Females
Cycling is fun – immensely.
However, the fun diminishes when you are plus sized or are shopping for a bike for a loved one who is plus sized. When you are placed in such a position, the following challenges are bound to rear up their heads and as a matter of fact, are very common.
A woman who is within normal weight would ordinarily not have any challenge finding a bicycle designed for a woman (her height and weight), comfortable. However, from 80kg up, the comfort of the rider becomes an issue of paramount importance when selecting a bike or it would well be an exercise in futility.
When you are shopping for a new bike as an overweight female or are interested in getting the bike for a female that is overweight, what should be of paramount importance for you should be the comfort of the rider when she eventually mounts the saddle.
To be specific, the seat needs to be well wider and more padded than ordinary bicycle saddles commercially available. Aside this, the tires need be made of superior materials and importantly, ought to be wider than normal tires if they are to serve such a rider without any challenges.
The durability of the bicycle to be used by a woman who is plus sized is also of paramount importance, if you are not to go shopping for another bicycle after a few weeks.
To this end, it is an excellent idea to ensure that though lightweight, the bicycle to be used by a woman/lady who is overweight ought to be solidly built/manufactured to ensure not only longevity, but to also ensure that it is incident free. Bicycles that fit into this description are built to last with superior aluminum alloys that would never succumb to weight or the strain weight puts on metals.
3. Ease of use
A bicycle that would comfortably serve an overweight woman/girl must be easy to use. This is because, plus sized women require special designs if they are to enjoy a bike and more importantly, get the best out of it.
For instance, the cross bar of the bicycle must be designed in such a manner that it stands lowered. This is because, without such a design, mounting the bicycle, using it and coming down from it would all present unimaginable difficulties that would take away the fun that comes with cycling especially for women/ladies who weigh more than the average.
4. Color choices
Women love colors by nature – and would always appreciate an assortment of colors to choose from. This love does not stop with the slim or slender ladies – it well extends into the realities and lives of plus sized women too.
When you are thus shopping for a bicycle for yourself or are looking to surprise your loved one who is plus sized, it would be a wise and exceeding brilliant idea to take into consideration and focus bicycle models that have a wide assortment/array of colors. This way, you are guaranteed to get your favorite color or if you desire, the color that will eventually match up with either your exercise gear or your favorite cycling dress.
Now that we’ve seen what features or specs to look out for when shopping for a bicycle that would best fit you as an overweight lady or woman, it is time we move right into the review and present to you the various options that you can choose from when you finally decide to get your dream bike.
Review: 5 Best Bikes for Overweight Female
The bicycles reviewed here are the very best bikes you can find in the market today if you are shopping for a bicycle as an overweight woman or are shopping for your plus sized loved one.
Please, note that the bikes all meet the criteria set out above and are all excellent options. You are therefore are liberty to pick out the bike that best suits you according to the minor spec/configuration differences that may be pleasing to you or may make you prefer one model over another.
|RANK||PRODUCT NAME||PRODUCT IMAGE||REVIEW LINK||PRICE|
|1||Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle||Read full review|
|2||Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle||Read full review|
|3||Schwinn Women's Wayfare Hybrid Bike||Read full review|
|4||Northwoods Springdale Women's 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle||Read full review|
|5||Schwinn Women's Wayfarer 700c Bicycle||Read full review|
1. Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle Review
The Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser is undoubtedly one of the best bicycle models available today for women – especially those who are plus sized. Coming from the stables of a renounced bicycle manufacturer (Firmstrong), its quality and durability are issues that are long settled and are never in doubt, especially amongst the dedicated and passionate followers of the brand/cyclists.
The bicycle itself is a joy to own and ride and comes in a plethora of beautiful and seductive colors and more important, options and specifications to suit your personal needs/demands as a woman who is beautifully plus sized.
This bike comes in varying sizes to make it comfortable and easy for women of all sizes and weight. Accordingly thus, there is the 24 inch, 1 speed model suited for women who are between 4ft – 5.2ft. There are also various other models that satisfy the various weight requirements and much more importantly, also cater for varying heights in the most brilliant of fashions.
The least of the series is 26 inches with 1 speed. There are other numerous models in-between with the highest being the 26 inches, 7 speed model, suited for females between the height ranges of 5 – 6 feet.
Color wise, the plethora of options available are simply mind dazzling and are indicative of a brand that respects the power of choice of the customer.
The following 18 colors/combinations are available to select from as a woman: white, mint green, baby blue, purple, pink, vanilla, red, black/pink rims, orange, yellow, army green/pink rims, black, white/pink rims, chrome, matte black, brown, metallic charcoal and white/green rims.
With such an array of color choices, you are definitely certain to get your desired color choice without any challenge/complications.
Other options that make this model the dream of every plus sized lady are the oversize seats with dual springs for added comfort, wide balloon tires for a cushioned ride, easy to use cruiser brakes and the wide handle bars with easy rubber grip.
What we like about the Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser
It is only natural to fall in love with such an awesome bike specially designed to suit the needs of plus sized ladies. The following are thus what we particularly love about this model and hope you also fall in love too.
- Oversized seat with dual springs for added comfort: This is a joy…if you’re plus sized and are used to cycling, you’ll instantly agree that small bicycle saddles certainly hurt, most of the time. This is not something that occurs with the Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser!
- Wide handlebars: Aside the obvious reason for liking this, the wide handlebars on a bike for a plus sized woman enables her to take prolonged rides and not feel tired at all. This is one feature we sincerely love about this bike.
- Balloon tires for a cushioned ride: Cycling on a bike with typical ultra-thin bicycle tires isn’t fun at all. The typical natural assurance and confidence in your cycling abilities wanes. This bike gives you that back. And more.
- A wide array of color choices: Every woman loves choice…especially when it comes to colors and a plus sized woman/lady is no different. Thankfully, the makers of Firmstrong Lady Beach Cruiser have made sure that you have a lot to choose from. 18 colors to be precise; this is a whole lot of color galore that we passionately love!
- Ease of assembly: This bike is quite easy to assemble – even for a relatively new biker. If you are thus a DIY kind of woman, you will be able to assemble the entire bicycle on your own in about twenty minutes or less.
What we dislike about The Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser
The awesomeness of the Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser notwithstanding, there are some things we do not like about this bike model. They are:
- Weak fenders: Some customers have complained that the fenders are weak and not as strong as desired. While this is a negligible point, it is important to note it.
- Light paint finish: Some users have also noted that the paint finish of the Urban Lady is not as thick as desired; it is thus open to easy scratching when used in rough environments (without proper care).
2. Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle Review
The Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser is also from the stables of Firmstrong, the leading brand currently in the business of bicycle manufacture. It is a super durable bike that is ideal for overweight women who are between the height range of 5ft 4inches to 6ft 4inches.
To ensure that the bicycle holds the weight of its occupant in an ideal manner, it is fitted with a durable steel frame, White-wall balloon tires for a cushioned and super enjoyable ride and most importantly, it is designed in a ‘forward’ manner that keeps the seat closer to the ground while providing proper leg extension for the taller rider.
Speed wise, this bicycle model comes fitted with 3 options: 1 – speed, 3 – speed and a 7 – speed option. These configurations ensure that navigating through various terrains is a breeze and most importantly, riding uphill is done in the easiest of fashions.
Finally, the bike comes in 8 different color/color combinations, giving you, the buyer, the wide choice to pick the color that best tickles your fancy and appeals to your aesthetic sense.
What we like about the Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle
There are many things we sincerely love about this model. However, the few listed below stand out and we’re optimistic that you’ll also agree:
- Easy to use coaster brakes: The standard coaster brakes fitted on this bike are quite easy to use and pose no challenge at all to the various categories of users that would be interested in this bicycle.
- The forward pedaling design: The bike is designed in a ‘forward’ pedaling fashion that ensures that the seat is kept closer to the ground while proper leg extension is guaranteed. This is truly a joy/delight for taller riders.
- Different speed options: The Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser bike comes with 3 solid gear options for the varying terrains to be conquered/the distinct desires of the riders themselves. Thus, there is a bike guaranteed for every rider and every terrain, right from the 1 speed option to the 7 speed model.
- Elongated frame: Many tall riders have the problem of a normal-short frame when they either go shopping for their bicycles or when using them. This causes serious leg pain after cycling for a short distance. The Chief Lady Beach Cruiser bike makes sure that this is brilliantly taken care of with this model.
- The various color options: With 8 awesome colors to select from, every plus sized woman is guaranteed her preferred color/color combination. As women, we love colors and don’t play with them!
What we dislike about the Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle
There are a few things that we don’t like about this bicycle however. They are:
- No carriage: The Chief Lady Beach Cruiser bike is not fitted with a standard carriage; if you desire a carriage, you’ll need to buy one separately.
- Wide handlebars: The handlebars of the bike are quite wide, making is unsuitable for shorter women (with relatively shorter arms) to enjoy a ride on this model.
3. Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike Review
The Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike is truly a hybrid. This bike can handle the tasks of a road bike, a touring bike and a mountain bike – all in one. This means that, with this singular purchase, you can easily take a trip to the market, ride to work and tackle on more daring terrains during the holidays/weekends.
The bike is fitted with 7 gears and comes with a lifetime warranty – as long as you own the bike. Aside this, it is also manufactured and polished in steel, in the retro urban fashion with coordinating fenders and rack: a very rare combination in today’s dedicated bikes for women, especially plus size ladies.
Aside these options, the Schwinn bike also allows for front and rear brakes that are positioned in an easy to use and accessible manner. The provision of these two brakes ensures braking efficiency and provides confidence in and around all the terrains you’ll encounter as a female overweight biker.
What we like about the Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike
There are many things to love about this bike. In particular however, we fell in love with the following:
- Hybrid design: The Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike is particularly designed to tackle the tasks of a touring bike, a mountain bike, beach bike and any other bike you can think of. It is thus suited for just any task/occasion.
- Front and rear brakes: Two functional and awesomely effective brakes are better than only rear brakes, especially when the weather is unfavorable or the terrain is tricky. We particularly love this model for its twin brake system.
- 7 speed gear system: With 7 gears, it is quite easy to overcome any challenge the road/terrain may pose. This bike will thus pull through the challenges that are a nagging task for bikes with less number of gears.
- Standard carriage: The standard carriage on this hybrid bike (suited) for overweight women/ladies comes in handy when a child needs to be carried or any other luggage that proves heavier than (or is not suited for the front handlebar basket). You are thus spared the extra expense of a separate carriage.
- Standard front and rear fenders: Aside the standard carriage, this model also has standard fenders. This comes in handy when you cycling down the dirt road or right after a downpour. Please, note that many models are not fitted with this option.
What we dislike about the Schwinn Women’s Wayfare Hybrid Bike
There are just two things we don’t particularly like about this bicycle:
- There is just one available color: This really saddens us, especially since we don’t like the default mint color.
- The bike isn’t fitted with a handlebar basket: This would have really complemented the back carriage and presented a super awesome bike!
4. Northwoods Springdale Women’s 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle Review
The Northwoods Springdale Women’s 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle is one of the few all-purpose bicycles in production today with alloy rims and a 21-speed gear system. With the combination of a rear rack, front and rear brakes, standard fenders and a seat that ensures upright riding position in comfort, this is a bicycle you should take seriously as a plus sized woman, especially if you are interested in getting from one point to another on time.
The bicycle is handcrafted, with an aluminum frame that is sturdy and certainly won’t give way for years to come. Aside this, it is also installed with a wide comfortable seat that is anchored by an alloy quick release seat clamp for easy adjustment to cater for the varying height differences among riders.
Aside the ugly stickers that adorn the body of the bike (which you can pull off in a jiffy), it is a fast and handy bike overall – and well suited both for the price and overall purpose for which it is designed and meant to serve.
What we like about the Northwoods Springdale Women’s 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle
Falling in love with this bike is quite easy; here are the features we are sincerely happy it comes standard with:
- Alloy rims: Alloy rims, fitted standard on a bike is a novel and adorable concept. Luckily, this bike comes standard with rims that are of the alloy variant!
- 21 speed gear system: With a freaking 21 speed gear system, it is clearly impossible to be challenged by a hill, another cyclist or any terrain! On this bike, you shall certainly conquer your terrain as an overweight woman with ease and conveniently overtake other cyclists in the manner you wish.
- The bicycle is solidly built: This is one of the solidly built bicycles available today. Many users in their reviews have opined that they have used the bicycle for over a year without any challenges while ensuring little or no preventive maintenance.
- Standard rear rack: This bike also comes standard with a rear rack for carrying relatively light things. This comes in handy when you need to carry something that is slightly larger than what the optional handlebar basket can bear.
What we dislike about the Northwoods Springdale Women’s 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle
There are a few things we don’t like about this bike however:
- It is heavy: Many users, especially those who are not particularly used to weights or heavy objects have opined that it is much heavier than the standard weight of bikes in its class.
- It comes in just a single color: If you happen to hate the white color, there is no provision for you!
- No default handlebar basket: This model does not come fitted with a default handlebar basket; if you need one, you’ll need to buy one separately and fit same yourself.
5. Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle Review
The Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle is the last bike on our list of the best bikes for overweight females (girls, ladies and women). However, it is by no means the least. Like the others reviewed, it has similar and super interesting features that ensure it a joy to buy, ride and own any day or time.
Styled in the famous Schwinn retro fashion, this bicycle is a ‘goddess’ and beauty to look upon. With 3 awesome colors to choose from (cream, mint and white), it appears too good (physically) to classify as a hybrid: it looks and feels like a beach bicycle for super curvy and exceptionally beautiful women. Notwithstanding however, it is an all-purpose bike and functions as such.
Aside its aesthetic and super comfortable build, it is also designed with swept back handle bars for upright riding, alloy brakes for super precise stops and full fenders for use right through all weather conditions.
What we like about the Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle
There are many things to love about the Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle. However, we love the following most:
- Alloy brakes: This aids with swift, precision inspired stops.
- Full fenders: The Wayfarer comes standard with full front and rear fenders. This allows for an enjoyable and comfortable ride, inspite of the weather condition.
- 3 awesome colors to select from: This leaves all users covered.
- Super stylish design: This is important…for a hybrid; very few bicycles can match the unique ‘beachy’ design of this bike.
- Swept back handlebars: This ensures a straight posture whilst cycling and prevents such challenges as backaches associated with cycling and cyclists.
What we dislike about the Schwinn Women’s Wayfarer 700c Bicycle
There is only one thing we do not like about this bike…
- The hard seat: The seat that comes standard with this bike is hard for most users. However, changing it to a more luxurious and comfortable one has always done the magic.
Summary: which of these bikes is perfect for you as a plus sized/overweight female/lady?
Anyone of the above that catches your fancy…and we mean it!
This conclusion has been reached after duly taking into cognizance your particular needs as an overweight/plus sized woman. What is important for you is to simply look at the attached pros/cons for each one and go with the option that best aligns with your heart.
So there we have it, let us know which one you feel is the best bike for overweight female and happy shopping 🙂