Almost everyone has witnessed elderly people losing their balance and falling. Look, we all know the rate at which elderly people fall is higher than that of younger folks. This is largely due to postural imbalance caused by old age.
When people age – their bones become brittle, they suffer poorer vision, and their sense of coordination becomes impaired. Many of these problems can however be offset with suitable shoes designed to help seniors with balance problems.
When elderly people slip and fall, they sustain physical injuries that could be fatal. They could break some bones or suffer head injuries. And this could leave them hospitalized for several months.
Quality shoes for the elderly with anti-fall features can prevent or reduce the impact of several of the falls. In this post, we’d be reviewing some of the best fall-proof shoes for elderly people with balance problems.
- Best Shoes for Elderly Men with Balance Problems: Our Top 3 Picks
- 1. Propet Men’s Life Walker Strap Sneaker
- 2. Hush Puppies Men’s Gil Slip-On Shoe
- 3. Propet Men’s M5015 Scandia Strap Slip-On
- Best Shoes for Elderly Women with Balance Problems: Our Top 3 Picks
- 1. Dansko Women’s Pro XP Mule Shoe
- 2. Propet Women’s Tour Walker Strap Sneaker
- 3. Mejormen Womens Walking Shoes Easy On Off Stap
Best Shoes for Elderly Men with Balance Problems: Our Top 3 Picks
Having established the fact that quality shoes can reduce the chances of frequent falls in the elderly, here are our top 3 recommended shoes to elderly men with balance problems.
Our choice of these shoes is based on our experience with caring for the elderly, and the preferences exercised by seniors in nursing homes.
1. Propet Men’s Life Walker Strap Sneaker
The Propet Men’s Life Walker Strap Sneaker is no ordinary sneaker; it is designed specially for elderly men. It is built to accommodate the lifestyles of frequent walkers. It is a leather walking shoe with rocker profile to give you ease of walking without hurting your feet a bit.
Here are some of the features of this fit-to-feet shoe for elderly men:
- Leather material with rocker profile
- Dual heel counters with improved heel grip
- Padded collar and tongue for top foot ease
- Removable cushioned orthotic
- Lightweight EVA midsole with durable arch support
- Perforated upper for added feet breathability
- Fully padded lining and footbed for better walking gait
- Full shock absorption when you walk on uneven surfaces
- Convenient straps with hook-and-loop fastenings
- A5500 Medicare approved
In case you still need more convincing, this Propet Men’s Life Walker Strap Sneaker is great for elderly men because it is non-slip, comfortable to wear, high-backed with good fitting, spacious toe width and wide mouth, adequate padding and easy to maintain.
2. Hush Puppies Men’s Gil Slip-On Shoe
This is another quality shoe recommended for elderly men. Anyone can purchase the Hush Puppies Men’s Gil Slip-On Shoe for cheap. This moccasin-styled leather shoe is suitable for seniors of all trekking persuasions. It is solid as it prevent falls with its genuine no-slip capability.
Here are a few reasons why you must acquire this shoe today:
- 4 times lighter than common shoes
- ZeroG system for lightness
- Shock-absorbing synthetic sole
- Padded collar and hook-and-loop strap closure
- Removable contoured EVA footbed with open cell mesh cover
This is one shoe that prevents and minimizes fall incidents for elderly men. It is light, cheap and affordable if you are serious about walking safety and health concerns for the elderly. If you cannot buy this shoe for yourself, then consider getting it for your aged papa or uncle.
3. Propet Men’s M5015 Scandia Strap Slip-On
The Propet Men’s M5015 Scandia Strap Slip-On is built for walking support and balance. Despite its sturdy features, it is lightweight and easy on the foot. It is a casual men’s walking shoe designed for easy strides.
Here are a few things you ought to know about this elderly men’s shoe:
- Supple full-grain/nubuck leather upper
- Extended and sturdy heel counters for all day support
- Polyurethane unitsole for shock absorption, traction and durability
- Removable EVA insole with politec cushion system for comfort
- Hand-sewn moc toe construction for extra volume
- Round and extra-wide toe box for spacious room
- Wide hook-and-loop strap for easy slip on and off
In case you still want more convincing about this shoe for seniors, then you can click here to view thousands of customer reviews of the product. And just so you know, it is a certified diabetic shoe with Medicare/HCPCS code A5500. So, if you’re a senior battling with diabetes or a caregiver to one, you may want to favor this shoe over others on our list.
Having considered for men’s shoes for elderly men, let us check out some recommended women’s shoes for seniors.
Best Shoes for Elderly Women with Balance Problems: Our Top 3 Picks
Whether you are keeping your seniors at home with you or in a nursing home far away, you wouldn’t want them to lose balance and fall. This would not only cost you hospitalization expenses, it is wicked to allow this to happen. Here are our top 3 best shoes for elderly women with balance problems:
1. Dansko Women’s Pro XP Mule Shoe
The Dansko Women’s Pro XP Mule Shoe is a product of a family shoe business. Available in various designs, this shoe is built solely for women, most especially seniors. It is an iconic clog that is comfortable for all day activities.
It comes with the following features and more:
- Removable cushioned footbed
- Slip-resistant outsole
- Excellent arch support and legendary comfort
- Leather material that is durable
- Slip-on leather mule with roomy toe box
- Anti-fatigue rocker bottom
- Memory foam footbed for optimal cushioning and support
- Padded instep for comfort when walking
- Slip resistant rubber outsole
This shoe is recommended for elderly women who desire comfort while walking without risks of a fall. It cheap and affordable and lasts for a lifetime. It allows for strong traction while walking something to celebrate old age with. If you want help buying a quality women’s shoe with balancing for aged women, then think of the Dansko Women’s Pro XP Mule Shoe.
2. Propet Women’s Tour Walker Strap Sneaker
The Propet Women’s Tour Walker Strap Sneaker is one shoe that minimizes the chances of falling in elderly women. It is comfortable to wear with breathable material and trendy for social occasions. It is a great choice for touring and getting out and about.
Here are some other things worth considering about this women’s shoe for elderly folks:
- Dual adjustable straps for a just-right fit
- Soft full-grain leather uppers
- Perforated uppers to allow your feet breathe while wearing it
- Velcro straps for a fit-to-feet hold
- Padded lining and footbed for easy power walking
- Rubber bottoms for better traction at all times
The Propet Women’s Tour Walker Strap Sneaker is available on Amazon for immediate orders. You can order it for your senior aunt, aged mother, elderly landlady or old neighbor. This shoe is very suitable for seniors and will grip both feet and floor to prevent falls. It aids your balance as you walk in it and gives you the confidence for an all day busy activities.
3. Mejormen Womens Walking Shoes Easy On Off Stap
The Mejormen Womens Walking Shoes are designed to support the active lifestyles of elderly women. This footwear is cushy and thick and protects the feet from abrasions when trekking long distances of difficult terrains.
Here are some cool features:
- APMA approved stretch strap closure for ease
- Moisture wicking and odor control with anti-microbial protection
- Fit adjustability PurefitTM comfort cushion
- Arch Ortholite sockliner for perfect fit
- Smooth vegan leather and mesh upper
- Drilex wicking to keep the feet cool and dry
- Removable footbed
Additionally, this shoe is designed and built for elderly women. It is breathable, comfy and slip/fall preventive. There is additional padding at the heel and collar of this women’s shoe for extra comfort. The outsole is made in a way that accommodates the feet’s natural movement for ease of use in all terrains.
Causes of Frequent Falls in Elderly People
Without wasting words, the following are some of the reasons why seniors lose their balance and fall so frequently:
- Declining physical fitness or flexibility
- Physical conditions that impair mobility or balance – Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and arthritis)
- Loss of sensations or numbness in the feet
- Impaired vision
- Environmental hazards such as slippery floors, uneven sidewalks, and tripping on electrical cords or other objects
- Fainting spells
- Side-effects of medications
What to Consider When Buying Balance Shoes For Seniors
When shopping for the best shoes to buy for elderly people with balance problems, some of the important factors that must inform your purchase choice include the following:
- Fall prevention or fall-proof
- Spacious room to allow for swelling in diabetic elders
- Adjustable fit for prolonged usage
- Adequate padding to prevent bruising/abrasions caused by frequent friction
- Without laces – many seniors lose balance and fall when they bend to tie up their shoe laces
- Easy to maintain – breathable, washable, and antibacterial
- Low heeled – do not buy high-heel for seniors since they can fall and break their ankles
- Non-slip and shock absorbent soles
- Comfortable to wear in all terrains
If your elderly folks fall so often and risk injury, then you must consider getting them special walking shoes. These should be shoes that prevent fall for elderly people with balance problems.
The money you will spend on purchasing a quality fall-proof shoe is very minimal compared to hospitalization costs if they happen to fall and sustain injuries. There are hundreds of amazing shoes for seniors on Amazon and other online stores, but you can get started with those we have reviewed in this piece.